St.Gwynno's Church ,Llanwonno
(from a watercolour,courtesy of Mr.G Bishop)
St.Gwynno's Church,Llanwonno (Interior) -(Courtesy of Mr.and Mrs. R.J.Bates)
Lady Windsor Colliery,Ynysybwl,May1988
Situated at Ynysybwl this
colliery was sunk in 1886 by the Ocean Coal Co. Ltd. later to become Ocean and
United National Collieries Ltd.
From the Inspector of Mines list 1896, there were 1141 men employed here.
In 1918 the workforce numbered 886.
By 1945 there were 1153 employed.
In March 1975 it was linked underground with Abercynon colliery to form a single producing unit at a cost of £450,000. At this time 1,150 men were producing 318,000 tons yearly from Six feet, Lower Nine feet and Seven feet seams.
The coal was raised at the Lady Windsor end of the unit from a depth of 687 yards.
It closed in 1988.
Courtesy of welshcoalmines.co.uk